Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Going on a Mission

My friend Gina son is going on a mission in March to Brazil. She posted this poem. I thought it was great, so I wanted to share it with you.

This Year for Christmas

I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving.
The thrill just wasn't there.
No pictures taken with Santa Claus,
my decorating has no flair.
His presents are shoes, shirts and ties,
two suits and socks...no fun.
I've bought him all white clothes because
This year, I'm giving Christ my son.

I've spent more time in the temple,
Felt strength come from His words.
I've reread the Ensign,
and my testimony stirred.
Our family prays more frequently
My tears are quick to run.
Abraham seems closer because...
This year I'm giving Christ my son.

I wonder how those Lamanite mothers
gave their sons to war.
Or how the pioneers chose Zion,
their sacrifice was so much more.
My loss will be his presence,
I'll miss his smile a ton.
For two years we will pray for him,
I'm giving Christ my son.

I stare at his face when he's not looking
I memorize his eyes, their shine.
He's always hungered for the part of him
that makes his soul divine.
The stories and lessons he always heard
His choice and mine are one.
I'll put my faith in God's hand,
This year, I'm giving Him my son.

Past gifts have lost their glitter,
I think I finally understand
Christ's birth should be celebrated
by giving Him a hand.
It's because I know Christ lives and reigns
that all his packing's done.
My gift has taken nineteen years to make
This year...I'm giving Christ my son.

No comments: